I thank you for your prompt reply. I am told that GTE's dsl is bridged. I am
led to believe that the modem will be an external one that plugs in to an
ethernet card and does not take a crossover cable but a straight cat 5 cable
and the service is dhcp based and should be easy install.  I hope to avoid
this. I am told that I will still retain my 56k dial out capabilities so I will
not configure or change anything unless I am sure it will not kill system and
plan to confer over modem to ensure a minimum of hassle when the day of install
comes which I am told will be July 26th.

Ralph