Rick Commo wrote:

> This is just a wild guess at best!  I saw something similar trying to peruse
> the CD on a running 7.1 system.  I was *really* exasperated by the fact that
> the eject button didn't work.  Finally I got a pushpin (like you would use
> for a cork board (didn't have a paper clip which has a longer reach)).
>
> I pushed gingerly expecting the kind of resistance that I have found when
> doing this on un-powered systems.  Plus I was afraid of working against a
> powered up mechanism.  In my particular case I found no resistance but
> rather the CD drawer light came on and the shelf came out.  Perhaps there
> was an optical sensor or some sort.
>
> So you might want to try that.  Again, you usually need to use a paper clip
> that has been unbent, but that's what that little hole in the front is
> actually for.  Just go easy.
>
> Cheers,
> -rick

I had a Dell machine doing this a while ago.  In that case I had
installed a couple extra hard drives and had changed the location of the
CD drive.  When I did it I didn't set the BIOS to autodetect the port I
had moved the CD drive to - slave on the secondary port if I recall.  It
caused exactly what you describe - it wouldn't automatically open the
tray for the second CD even though it asked for it.  I tried opening the
drive manually and inserting the CD but this didn't work (because it
hadn't unmounted the first one correctly I think).  When I finally
thought to set the BIOS to autodetect that port it has worked ever since
- I think I've reinstalled three times since then to test various
things.  You might give this a try.

Regards.

--
Mike Rambo