I'm running 2 K7 systems, both are great. My new one has an asus A7V
motherboard with a duron (the processor slot config allows for upgrading
later). I was very impressed by the A7V, it has lots of goodies like 'wake
on LAN', lots of hardware feedback, and BIOS settings to control all the
fans. the case has 250 watt power supply - I've had no trouble and it flies
like a bat out of hell.

my only regret is that a more expensive case would have a power supply that
can have its fan shut down by the motherboard when it's not needed.

I would say don't skimp on the case or the motherboard, you can use these
for years while you upgrade everything else.

Gavin