Hmpf.  I don't understand what the problem is.

I am running Mandrake 7.1 (kindof a 7.2 hybrid).  Here are the kde rpms
installed:

kdesupport-2.0-1mdk
kdenetwork-devel-2.0-1mdk
kdesupport-devel-2.0-1mdk
switchdesk-kde-1.7.1-13mdk
kde-themes-0.3-4mdk
kde1-compat-1.1.2-7mdk
kdebase-devel-2.0-6mdk
kdemultimedia-devel-2.0-4mdk
kdegraphics-devel-2.0-4mdk
kdeaddutils-devel-2.0-3mdk
kdelibs-sound-2.0-4mdk
kdelibs-sound-devel-2.0-4mdk
kdepim-2.0-1mdk
kdeaddutils-2.0-3mdk
kdegames-2.0-1mdk
kdelibs-devel-2.0-4mdk
kdemultimedia-2.0-4mdk
kdeadmin-2.0-2mdk
kdesdk-2.0-1mdk
kdetoys-2.0-1mdk
kdeutils-2.0-2mdk
kdenetwork-2.0-1mdk
kdegraphics-2.0-4mdk
kdelibs-2.0-4mdk
kdebase-2.0-6mdk

qt-1.44-24mdk
qtcups-devel-1.0-14mdk
qt-qgl-1.44-15mdk
qt2-2.2.1-1mdk
qt-qimgio-1.44-15mdk
qtcups-1.0-14mdk
qt-devel-1.44-15mdk
qt2-devel-2.2.1-1mdk

With this, I can start kde.  KDM is fine.  As root I get a host of functional
icons on my desktop.  The drive icons, on my system for DOS_hda1, DOS_hdb6,
and Zip (/mnt/zip -> /dev/sda4) work fine for root in ALL respects.  I can
browse the volumes, I can right-click and select "properties" from the popup
menu and get the properties window.

As a user, however, I can browse DOS_hda1 and DOS_hdb6 without problem.  The
zip drive, however, wont mount.  Instead I get an error amount filesystem
type, yadda yadda.  The icon is also wrong for the zip.  I wanted to check
the settings on this kdelnk and change the icon.  I right-click on the icon,
select "properties" and that promptly freezes kfm.  No more wm refreshes.  I
can no longer bring up menus by right-clicking or middle clicking on the
desktop.  I can still use the panel and any app I have open.

I logout and login again and all is working.  I then right-click on DOS_hda1,
select "properties" as an experiment.  Same thing.  kfm freezes and I lose the
wm.  Same thing if I do this with DOS_hdb6 or CDROM.

There are no error messages anywhere that I can find. Dr Konqi doesn't come
up with debug messages.  I DON"T UNDERSTAND!!!

I also find that I am missing kappfinder.  It is nowhere on my system yet I
am told it is part of kdebase.  What the fuh..?

praedor

On Thursday 26 October 2000 06:09, you wrote:
> > Right click on my system is fine. Then again, I installed from
> tar files to avoid all the Mandrake requirements for package
> upgrades.

[...]