Hello everyone,

Before I get to the problem let me say that I have exhausted EVERY other source
of information on this topic. I've read all the how-tos and asked numerous
self-proclaimed Linux gurus to no avail. My problem is thus:

 I'm having a bit of a problem attempting to get an old 286 laptop to act as a
dumb terminal through a null modem cable to a Win 3.x terminal. I narrowed the
problem down to a faulty serial port on the Linux box side. I am running
Mandrake 7.1 with a 2.2.15 kernel. I diagnosed my serial ports by using
"setserial -g /dev/ttys*" I got the following output:

/dev/ttys1: Input/output Error
/dev/ttys2: Input/output Error
..
..
etc. all the way down to /dev/ttysf: Input/output Error.

Thinking this is extremely odd, I checked out my BIOS. I happen to know that
the serial ports do in fact work (under windows). Also, my BIOS listed the
ports as: Port 1: 3F8/IRQ4, Port 2: 2F8/IRQ3. Knowing this, I hit the net on a
tireless search for serial port info. After reading several how-tos and looking
at numerous posts, I decided to try the same procedure only using the
"obselete" cua notation:

$ setserial -g /dev/cua*
/dev/cua0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/cua1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/cua2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/cua3, UART 16550A, Port 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

Eureka! Or something... It seems the antiquated cua devices register UARTs and
match the serial port resources in my BIOS, but the ttys devices do not... After
this I decided to test whether I could send output to the terminal or not:
echo test > /dev/cua1
The console froze after the command, and did nothing until I hit ctrl-C. Next I
tried the same command, only after starting up the terminal emulation program
on the laptop. The command ran, and then I got the prompt. I glanced at the
terminal. Nothing. It apparently worked, but where did this data go? Is
there anything that could be readily causing this? Should I even be using cua
devices for this? Help!?  Thanks so much,
Ken