> While I'm very aware of what a virtual machine is what has been unclear to
> me was how to set it up.  There's absolutely no reason I can see why
> VMware couldn't grab the OS from a partition with Windows installed on
> it.  They just prefer to hold it in a file instead.

Yep by default the VM uses a virtual disk that is saved as a file....if you
want to use existing installations...check the VMware documents for a section
entitled "RAW Disk Access" (I think)..admittedly there isn't a lot there...one
of the problems with it is you essentially have to set up two hardware profiles
with the windows stuff  (one for the VM and one for the normal boot).
Never tried it myself becasue for me it's sounded like a really bad idea...good
luck with it.

Andrew