I am assuming at this point that the problem is konqueror - the files
appear to be those of konqueror's.  I find that if I use kde2 for a
while, and make much use of konqueror, I am soon out of space in
my home directory.  It becomes filled by a bunch of .tmp-* files or
directories.

I have been going over the settings for konqueror and find nothing
to do with this sort of thing (determining where the tmp files will
be stored.  One would presume that the tmp directory would be PERFECT
for this rather than creating yet another set of tmp files and tmp
directories locally.

I cannot simply make a simlink work either because this is a mix of
files and directories with no set names.

I have 40 megs of free space right now in my home directory.  If I
use kde 2.0 and konqueror for a while, I will loose all the remaining
space.  Netscape doesn't do this.  I can run it for hours and it will
not consume all my home dir space.

How does one fix this?