Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 November 2000 02:25 pm, root wrote:
> > - kppp can connect to the ISP, but when pppd is
> > run from the command line, the connection mysteriously dies before
> > the PAP handshake is even complete.
>
>    Did you try CHAP?

I have both a pap-secrets and a chap-secrets file, both identical. The
ISP uses only PAP. The connection works fine using PAP when I use kppp.

The number of problems I've had with pppd and looking at all the trouble
others have had makes me wonder how reliable this software really is.

What is the difference between connecting with kppp and connecting with
chat? Is it my chat version that's the problem? Why can't this thing
pass on cleanly to pppd? Why isn't it authenticating?

Why does nobody seem to know what's going on here? I'm not the first
person who's had this problem, and I won't be the last...

-Stephen-