I just purchased a Sony Vaio notebook. Mandrake 7.2 works well with it. I do have a
couple
of problems with it though. I can't get sound to work. It is a ESS Maestro
that doesn't work with my current kernel 2.2.17. Harddrake lists it as ES1987S.

My main problem is the linksys 10/100 card. I purchased this due to the box stating it
works
well with linux (pcmpc100). However, if I set the Vaio up for a static ip address, I
can not
ping even my main Mandrake box this is cabled to. I am borrowing my gf's cable from her
computer so I know the cable is good. And if I set the card for dhcp, and reboot, it
gets an
IP from somewhere. I am not running a dhcp server, and my gf's machine is statically
set.
my main box is 192.168.1.100, gf's is 192.168.1.110. I have tried to use her ip since
I am
using her cable right now, and it won't work. If I reboot my machine to win98, and set
my
Vaio to a static ip, I can ping the win box no probs.

Any idea what is happening in linux, this is a first for me, and any help appreciated

Brian D. Klar - CVE
OTS
WPAFB
(937)257-5773