"John J. LeMay Jr." wrote:

> I'm forwarding the following message since it never appeared on the list after
> I sent it. In fact, neither did two other messages, one of which was a reply to
> another message that appeared on the list.
>
> ** Forwarding message from "John J. LeMay Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 28 Dec
> 2000 21:04:34 -0500
>
> I've recently upgraded to Mandrake 7.2 (from 7.1) and I have installed Helix
> 1.0. When updating packages, several packages appear (in similar forms) in both
> Helix and the MandrakeUpdate lists. Which should be used?
>
> John LeMay Jr.
> Senior Enterprise Consultant
> NJMC, LLC.
>
> John LeMay Jr.
> Senior Enterprise Consultant
> NJMC, LLC.

You have an unresolvable** issue here.  Each updater wants absolute
rule over all packages in it's domain.  My manual resolution is to
run Mandrake update, and manually download and install any non-Gnome
updates.  Then run Helix's updater normally.  It's painful, but
Mandrake's updater doesn't recognize that the Helix packages don't
belong to it and Helix, of course, wants to install Helix.  What
would be nice is if there was a way to tell the MandrakeUpdate to
ignore packages with "helix" in the version number, but alas, it
doesn't exist yet***.  If you manually unselect Gnome packages in
MandrakeUpdate it overrules you and reselects them for updating with
Mandrake specific packages.  I've found no way to tell it NOT to
update a packge, it always comes back with an error saying it has
automatically selected X extra packges for download, where X is the
number of packages you deselected.

Enjoy,
        Woody

**In an automatic mode.

***If LM personnel read this, feel free to act upon this idea.
with a configuration option in MandrakeUpdate that allows you to
specify packages that need not be handled my MandrakeUpdate much
like the option in RedHat's up2date utility.

Gatewood Green         Web Developer
http://www.linux.org/  The first stop for Linux info on the Net
Email:                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All opinions expressed by me are my own and not necessarily
endorsed by Linux Online, Inc. or Linux Headquarters, Inc.