It appears I screwed up a LM7.1 campus production server
by trying to add a windows partition for backup purposes
with PowerQuest Drive Image 3.  At first I created ok at
the end of the disk, and DI3 saw that but would not write
the image file (of Linux partitions) to that C: drive.

I copied the contents of /dev/hda6 (/var) and /dev/hda7
(var/lib) to a scratch partition (/dev/hda10). Then
I used a win98 bootup disk, and Partition Magic 5 to
delete those partitions as a merged FAT32 partition.
When I tried to reboot, it complained about a kernel panic
with no init= set, and suggested passing it to Grub/Lilo.

I am able to win98 boot into it, however even the LM7.1
bootup disk did not work (same error as regular bootup).
I booted up with Tom's Root Boot disk, and I can mount
the windows partition, but none of the Linux ones.
I tried to mount the /boot partition with...
  # mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt
  EXT2-fs: 03:0a:  couldn't mount because of unsupported
  optional features.
  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
  /dev/hda1 or too many mounted filesystems.

I then tried...
  # e2fsck /dev/hda1
  Filesystem has unsupported features.
  The superblock could not be read or does not describe
  a correct superblock. Try using a different superblock
  size such as:    [-b 8193]

Still no luck.

Ok, so using PM5 after I initially created the partitions
with 'fdisk' was not a smart move (in hindsight), but
how do I fix that now ?
Is there another utility that could help ?
Other suggestions ?

Thanks... Dan.