ok well im an et in the navy so i might be able to help, now you have ip addresses and
hub and new cables however you must also check access rights now usually with a unix
based system there are host databases which contain ip address host name and security
access(may or may not be included) if one computer has a host name of jack the other
computer on the lan must have that exact host name along with the exact ip address,
also new cables do not gaurantee good quality, it is possible that the cable was
defective before you ever bought it, or the hub may seem to work properly but could
also be defective, also what type of lan cable are you using are you using T cable
which is like an oversized phone jack or some other type that requires a hub.
another factor that kills an lan connection is the ethernet card does it work with
linux check the paper work, and check your proc files, also the ethernet card could be
damged as well or  maybe has a bad jumper setting we use cards that use cable rg-58
and aui cable which also contains a fuse any number of things will cause the lan card
to use the wrong connector therefore no connection. thats all i can think of at the
moment if you have any other questions just ask me i do this all the time as a network
administrator on my ship