After extensive testing trying to get 1.4 beta2 working with Opera 5.05,
I've come to the conclusion that the java plugin supplied by Sun is
broke.

Running opera at the command line and watching the output when I visit
java.sun.com, I get:

Error in initializing function pointer xislocked_fn
Error in initializing function pointer xislocked_fn

Note that there are two applets on that website.

I haven't tried it with Mozilla, but I did some testing with the jdk
1.3.1 for Linux and various browsers and found the NS 4 plugin is
broke.  If I loaded NS 4.7x with the plugin linked and check the version
of java running by viewing the java console in NS, I notice it was using
the built in 1.1.4 (or is 1.1.5, I forget now).  But in Mozilla using
the NS 6 plugin, I got the correct 1.3.1 version string.  It's worth
noting that the jdk 1.3.1 NS4 plugin didn't work with Opera 5.05 either.

I'm about to try Blackdown's jdk and see if that fixes it (I hope it
does).

Regards,

     Woody

--
     Woody ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Gatewood Green         Web Developer
http://www.linux.org/  The first stop for Linux info on the Net
Email:                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All opinions expressed by me are my own and not necessarily
endorsed by Linux Online, Inc. or Linux Headquarters, Inc.