On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 08:51:23 -0500 Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Randy,

If you have your own domain/IP, you can use PostFix' anti-spam features to greatly
refuse spam before it gets delivered...  Most spam comes through "open relays" and by
blocking mail from any known open relay, we can virtually shutdown anonymous spam.
This will eventually force the spammers to use their own resources and might make
prosecution more likely; but that's orthoganal and argumentative...  :^)

I've noticed that since I've begun submitting spam relay hosts to
http://ordb.org/submit/, spam attempts have dropped off to a trickle.  In fact, the
spam *attempts* (blocked by postfix) have dropped from ~50-70/day to a few every
couple of days...

It's fun to be a spam fighter...  :^)  For more info, see my postfix page at
http://pfortin.com/Linux/PostFix -- also, easy to miss but potentially useful for the
mail-header-challenged is http://pfortin.com/Linux/PostFix/ORDBing.html

It's fun seeing the spammers having to find new open relays from a dwindling list and
probably having to now maintain a growing list of targets-to-avoid (aka known
spam-fighters) who will further reduce their resources if they spam us...  :^)

Pierre