On 14 Mar 2002 06:30:40 +1100
Darren King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not all of us live in North America.  In Australia, you do not tip.
> Waitesses are paid a decent wage here.  Just because a cable is at a
> house for TV, doesn't mean it's "on"...I don't get the analogy.  The
> whole fun of linux is that it's made by people who want to do it, in
> their spare time.  Tell me,  how much money does Mandrake send down to
> the people who actually write software that they include in their
> distro?  And Im not talking about mandrake-specific softare.
>
> Darren

With all due respect .... probably more than you or I do.  Such projects as Bastille,
wine, KDE and others do get money, time and support from Mandrake. In fact Many of the
project leaders for Open Source projects are employed by the various distros just to
work on their project.  (Tip by the way means Too Insure Promptness.. and when I was
in Sydney the bartender was very very prompt after he got the first tip... *grin* )
Much of this falls along the same lines as the word fair.  It means all is equal...
not you get what you want.

Before companies like ygdrasil (hope I spelled that right) and later RedHat et all.
The only way to get the "free" OS was hours of boot strapping and compiling (Even more
time consuming than LFS ) These vendors brought to the table 3 things, Installers, QA
and support.  I really don't care how much of a "guru" someone thinks they are, the
still need support and benifit from the QA and the installer.  If you want' it free
then take what's free.  Often buggy, in that it builds on the users box but not on
someone elses.  No notification of securitty holes. (Not even Cert catches them all.)
Not tools such as RPM to make what could otherwise be an upgrade nightmare for
sysadmins possible.  No thanks I'll take what I get from the distro's over boot strap
and 2 weeks compiling (per box I might add) anytime.  Just remember TNSTAAFL.

James