On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:23:06 -0500
Mike Rambo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm just dense but how the heck do you create a
> bootable CD these days. I'm need to make a bootable restore
> CD for our public safety department. I want to put their
> computer hard drive image on it and have it boot from the CD
> and start imaging  automatically. I have the hard drive
> image file. I have the boot floppy image. I can't get it all
> onto a CD successfully. I now have two coasters which have a
> perfect copy of the hard drive image file but the stinking
> CD's won't boot. The computer boots from other CD's just
> fine.
>
> I'm using a 8.1 system now and have tried xcdroast,
> eroaster, gcombust, and mkisofs from the CLI to no avail.
> All of them complain that they can't find either the boot
> image or the boot.catalog file. I have tried placing the
> floppy image everywhere I can think of and it has
> permissions that would allow everyone from Charles Manson to
> the Pope to read it. This is frustrating because my old
> system (7.1) with kisocd just worked by giving it a file
> name and location. Unfortunately kisocd is no longer
> supported it would appear.
>
> README.eltorito says that the boot.catalog file will be
> automatically created but doesn't say where. It also speaks
> of the boot image but doesn't say where it needs to be.
> Absolute paths don't find it which is totally confusing. The
> CD-writing howto on LDP just points to the README.eltorito
> file included with mkisofs.
>
> What is the magic step here to make this work?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Mike Rambo
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

i assume that the files and directories from which to create your iso image are in a
directory named to_be_burnt. and you're creating an iso image in ~/burn

first:
create iso image like this
cd to_be_burnt
mkisofs -v -r -T -J -pad -b boot_image -c boot.catalog -o ~/burn/image.iso .

then
cd ~/burn
cdrecord -v speed=? dev=?,?,? image.iso

replace ? with appropriate values
boot_image is the image from which the cd will boot. it has to be in the cd! give the
path from where you're creating iso.

bye
jipe