On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 07:21, Dianne Marie Montesa wrote:
> heya,
>
> there is really nothing special about my installation.
> its using the mandrake kernel that came with mandrake
> 8.1 and its booting on init level 5 (gui login).
> everything is off the CD ... after my clean install, i
> have updated only the packages listed on the 8.1
> updates (not including the kernel).  the updates list
> doesnt include KDE updates.
>
> hmmm, are you saying you dont see /bin/cat on your
> opened processes? how do you start kde? ... thru
> startx?

I've got the K display manager running, so I login thru it.
Enlightenment is running with KDE support right now, and the cat is not
there.  But earlier after I got your email I went completely into KDE
and did a process tree:

root@tamriel elx]# pstree -lp
init(1)-+-alarmd(2742)
        |-artsd(2609)
        |-chronyd(1309)
        |-crond(1624)
        |-cupsd(1353)
        |-devfsd(120)
        |-dhcpd(1377)
        |-esd(1841)
        |-gconfd-1(2189)
        |-gpm(1567)
        |-imwheel(2551)
        |-kapm-idled(4)
        |-kdeinit(2590)
        |-kdeinit(2593)
        |-kdeinit(2596)
        |-kdeinit(2658)
        |-kdeinit(2678)-+-kdeinit(2719)
        |               |-kdeinit(2726)
        |               `-kdeinit(2728)
        |-kdeinit(2724)
        |-kdeinit(2731)
        |-kdeinit(2736)---cat(2740)
        |-kdm(1745)-+-X(1757)
        |           `-kdm(2447)---startkde(2503)-+-ksmserver(2679)
        |                                        `-xscreensaver(2525)

So it looks like when KDE is fully up, I've got a cat on the loose too.
The interesting thing is that under pure Enlightenment, kdeinit runs
instances of itself whenever I've got a qt app running, but
kdeinit---cat never appears.  At least not in the snapshots that I've
seen.

> oh its not really irritating me ... :-) its just
> making me pull 3 strands of my hair everytime i do a
> 'ps ax' and sees it  :-P  <grin>

Here's something you might find useful.  Under pure E with KDE support,
I start kwrite, and there's no cat.  Then I start kwrited manually, and
cat shows as a subprocess under kwrited, not kdeinit. (as your subject line
originally intimated) Kwrited survives as long as kwrite is up and dies
whenever kwrite dies; but so does cat.  It isn't passed to kdeinit, at
least not from what I see from the pstree snapshots.  So the process
tree under pure E with kde support remains clear of cat under normal
circumstances.

> nope, none that i know of ... i will be installing 8.2
> on a different machine today. if i dont see it
> (/bin/cat) on the processes initiated, ill just
> upgrade and "forever hold my piece" about this issue
> ;)

FWIW, it's been interesting to examine this; it's been informative, and
now I'm curious myself as to why kdeinit babysits cat continually under
pure KDE.  I would say it's a handoff, except that it's there before any
apps are run.

> ciao,
> dianne (btw 2 Ns) :-P

lol!  :)

Cheers,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1