On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:01:58 -0700 Frederick Gleicher
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been having this problem since replacing redhat 7.0 with mandrake
> 8.0. The company server has dsl internet thru eth0, with a LAN on eth1 (
> thru a hub/switch ). It also has a dialup modem, ppp0 in the server for
> remote administration, etc. On remote dialup, ppp0, it worked great
> under redhat 7.0, but with mandrake 8.0, after a period of time, the
> surfing gets slower and slower, until it finally can't find anything.
> Then, disconnecting and redialing, the modem doesn't answer. At the
> machine, the error message "socket error: too many open files " appears,
> and the server locks up. You have to push the reset button and crash it
> to get it to reboot.
> It does this only on remote dial up. I installed 8.2, same problem. I've
> run memtest, but memory seems to be ok. It's gotta be either a memory
> leak or physically bad hardware. Whats causing this ? Any help I can get
> with this would be appreciated, thanks.

Are you using kppp to establish the connection?  If so, use "top" and
watch memory usage for kppp climb continuously...  Kill both instances of
kppp (as root) and the problem goes away...  I've reported a kppp memory
leak several times...  but...

Pierre