El Dom 14 Abr 2002 06:11, Guy Zelck escribió:
> Jose M. Sanchez wrote:
>  >Just to chime in on this subject...
>  >
>  >The AliMagic and VIA based motherboards have "broken" chipsets.
>  >
>  >I've spoken to both companies engineers about this issue.
>  >
>  >This discussion arose because both chipsets have problems with DMA
>  >overlays when using the BT8xx type TV tuner cards...
>  >
>  >The problem is with clock timing (the famous broken clock timer chip!!!)
>  >and DMA xfers. As you push the udma speed the spurious clock pulses
>  >wreak havoc with the memory writes.
>  >
>  >The Windows drivers try to make the OS work around the problem...
>  >
>  >This may be why people are seeing corruption. Couple this with Civilme's
>  >statement on WD drives and lack of CRC DMA data checking, and it's a
>  >wonder that Linux even runs on these systems.
>  >
>  >Turning OFF DMA or reducing UDMA to 33 seems to help with this
>  >problem...
>  >
>  >Your milage may vary though...
>  >
>  >-JMS
>
> Hi,
>
> Valuable input. I've got an Intel chipset but indeed a bttv tv tuner and
> a Firewire card from VIA technologies and suffer the same problems.
>
> Guy.

just for the record. i've read Civileme's opinion abou WD drives.
he scared me a bit, since i installed linux on a 30 GB WD  drive
and i can't afford to buy another.. so  i just said "tha heck with it,
i'll use linux in this one till it dies or something..."

that was a year ago. i'm still on my WD drive. i have

/dev/hdb5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb2 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /home xfs defaults 1 2
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
dev=/dev/hdd,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdb7 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda5 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb8 swap swap defaults 0 0

hdb being the mentioned WD drive.

as you see, i use several filesystems.

i've experienced power failures, hard freezes forcing
me to push the reset button. you know.. the usual.

and i'm still waiting for the day i get one single file corrupted.....