Running setup didn't help unfortunately. What I've finally
had to do to get even partial operation is to install a card
into the AGP slot in this box. That will finally fully
disable the integrated video. So now instead of a Radeon
7000PCI and integrated s3 trio3d I have the Radeon and an
ATI RagePRo AGP card. XFdrake (by way of setup or from CLI -
makes no difference) will still not configure the Radeon to
work - either by itself or as part of multihead setup. One
difference though, is that now it at least offers to do a
multihead setup. It didn't do that with the s3.

OTOH, if I run XFree86 -configure I do get a configuration
that at least starts up. I can log in and KDE seems to work
ok - haven't tried Gnome yet. But the resolution and color
depth stinks. I can't tell for sure what color depth is used
but I think it's 8 bit (I see error messages complaining
about using unsupported 8 bit when X exits). Resolution
looks like 640x480. I've tried copying lines to force color
depth and resolution higher but I only go back to scrambled
video and/or lockups when I do.

Does anyone know if Mandrake customized version of XFree86
4.20 in the 8.2 release or is it the standard stuff from the
XFree86 project? How do I figure out what drivers are used
and what drivers are available - seems like I saw a thread a
while back that said there was more than one Radeon driver
w/8.2 but I can't find it now. Perhaps someone could email
me (probably off list?) some working configs for Radeon 7000
PCI cards? Might I fare better getting the standard package
from the XFree86 project?

Thanks

--
Mike Rambo