daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> Mike,
>
> apart from sheery confusion your point in that post was...what?
>
> --
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Mike Rambo wrote:
>
> > Praedor Tempus wrote:
> > >
> > > I am also a little leery of using linuxconf for this.  It (linuxconf) appeared
> > > to bork my attempts at wlan ad-hoc networking and I was told not to use it in
> > > linuxconf with mucked up results.  I will give it a shot again but still,
> > > what file/system config contains THE hostname information utilized by
> > > "hostname"?  If is isn't /etc/hostname, /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1, or
> > > /etc/init.d/boot as mentioned in the hostname manpage, then what is it?

Unless I missed the point, Praedor asked this question "If
it isn't /etc/hostname, /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or
/etc/init.d/boot as mentioned in the hostname manpage, then
what is it?" regarding what file to edit to change THE
hostname of his box.

My answer included the following which was itself part of an
earlier question Praedor asked. DrJung (I think - I've
already deleted the mail so I can't be sure) expressed the
idea that questions were being answered by folks on the list
but that Praedor might be missing some of the steps along
the way in trying to implement the solution. I was trying to
emphasize the answer to the question that was asked.
Apparently I didn't do too well...

> > *****The answer to your question is below*****
> >
> > >Where are you changing the hostname (what file)? The
> > >hostname is set in /etc/sysconfig/network. /etc/hosts

To clarify, if one wants to edit a file to change the
hostname, /etc/sysconfig/network is the file to edit.

> > >relates hostnames to IP addresses but doesn't really set
> > >anything.
> >
> > *****The answer to your question is above*****

Hoping to have done better this time ... ;-)

--
Mike