I believe that all the users on my system (there are only a handful) use
the default shell (bash) that would be set by using the useradd command.

And as far as restricting the users that can login via ssh, well, I
haven't used the "AllowUsers" keyword in sshd_config, if that is what
you mean.

Is any of that related to the problem that I've been experiencing?  By
the way, I've checked the system memory using memtest-x86 and came out
with flying colors, so I guess that would most likely eminate that as a
potential source of problems.

ROB