I have an IBM Thinkpad with an ESS Solo1 sound "card".  It has  worked fine
with most previous Mandrake kernels up to 2.4.18.  I recently built and
installed the Mandrake 2.4.19 kernel (with the correct sound settings
selected in xconfig) and find it has totally croaked my sound.

There is no /dev/dsp, no sound-slot-0, no sound-card-0, nothing.  If I try to
run DrakConf and then run the harddrake to resetup the sound card, it fails
because it cannot find sound-slot-0.  I have done a system search and
naturally this module doesn't exist.

I have always used Alsa sound on my thinkpad and it has worked.  Now that alsa
has been blended into the kernel, it no longer works.  What does it take to
get sound working?

There are no sound modules getting loaded at all during bootup.  "Running
lspci -v" produces this for my soundcard
:
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive
(rev 02)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 1002
        I/O ports at 7800 [size=64]
        I/O ports at 7850 [size=16]
        I/O ports at 7870 [size=16]
        I/O ports at 7890 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 78a4 [size=4]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

Yup, there it is.  It's just that Mandrake kernel 2.4.19 doesn't see it.

What arcane trick is now necessary to get sound working again?

praedor