On Thursday 14 November 2002 09:18 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:

>    I've done multiple installs on my laptop. (just testing some stuff
> before I settled down to do work.... conclusion Blue bytes ) (pun
> intended) and since installing more ram, I needed a larger "suspend"
> partition.  I lost sound during one of the installs myself for some odd
> reason.  Another had sound but in MCC sound card had no info.  Now I
> keep these two lines from modules.conf handy.
>
> alias sound-slot-0 maestro
> above snd-es1968 snd-pcm-oss
>
>   Now Mine is a compaq not an IBM but it does have the same sound
> card.   I'd also recommend going to IBM's site as they have some pretty
> extensive docs on Linux on the ThinkPad.
[...]

Thanks for the info but...

I just went back to a custom 2.4.18-6mdk kernel and sound works again just
fine.  Since the hardware is oldish and never changes, there is obviously a
problem in the kernel and drivers (2.4.19).  I also have a fully functional
supermount again and a functioning parallel port Zip drive (2.4.19 couldn't
operate it either).

Trying to build the 2.4.19 kernel with the proper sound drivers built into the
kernel instead of produced as modules failed miserably.  The kernel refuses
to build when I try it.  I've gone back to a recompiled 2.4.18 kernel with
the same drivers built as modules and all is well.

I would say that 2.4.19 is the problem, not my hardware (which is invariant).

--
Conservatives of all times are adventitious liars.
- Friedrich Nietzsche.