On 20 Nov 2002, Matthew Van Horn wrote:

> Posted to newbie, but got no response.
>
> Since I upgraded from 8.1 to 9.0, I am having problems using my old
> (8.1) ~/.xinitrc
>
> If  the file even exists, then startx will not work. I don't know what
> the cause is, can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> The contents of my old .xinitrc are:
> #!/bin/bash
> export LANG=en_US
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP
> export LC_MESSAGES=en_US
> export XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
> kinput2 -wnn -ccdef /home/mattv/myccdef &
> imwheel
> startkde

Not sure exactly, but have you tried commenting out the entries in turn
until you find the one that's causing the problem? You can also try
redirecting the logs to a file then seeing if anything unusual shows up.
I.e., add the line:
  exec 2>"/tmp/errorlog"

right after the #!/bin/sh line.

When you say if the file even exists it fails, do you mean that even an
empty script containing only #!/bin/sh causes a problem?

You can also try logging the startx errors with:
  startx 2>/tmp/startx.error

then post or look through the error file for more info.