"Matthew O. Persico" wrote:

> I am using DHCP on my home network. The DHCP server is my Linksys wireless router. I
>have XPPro (ethernet), XPHome (wireless ethernet) and Mandrake 9.0 (ethernet) on the
>boxes.
>
> DHCP assigns addresses to all boxes.
> I can ping all boxes by ip addresses from all boxes.
> I can ping all boxes by name from the XP boxes.
> When I ping by name on Mandrake, I get "unknown host".
> I do not have any DNS servers running or any hosts files configured.
Thus the inability to resolve host names. DHCP is only half the story -
DNS is the other half. Were you to run DHCP on your *nix box you could
make the DNS updating automatic. You may be able to have your linksys
router update a DNS server too, I don't know. That's something you'd
have to look at the linksys docs to determine.

> Why does the Gates-ware figure out the names, but Linux does not? What other
>information can I provide to be helpful?
Windows has it's own methods for doing almost everything - almost never
efficient but usually at least minimally functional - that usually work
quite apart from the normal worlds way of doing things. As someone else
mentioned, it is probably using broadcasts and may well be using
protocols apart from TCP/IP to accomplish this. Micro$ofts use of
broadcasts burns up significant amounts of bandwidth but also allows
their systems to function without proper name servers.

Dynamic DNS is really the way to do this. hosts files are fine right up
until you don't happen to get the same IP address from your DHCP server
at which time you'll find name resolution broken again.

Hope this clarifies...

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]