On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:44:52AM -0600, Chuck Burns wrote:
> On Tue, January 21 2003 9:26 am, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
> *snip*
> > You can't possibly be suggesting to add filters directly into imap, for
> > every user... If you had a system with 1000 users, and they had 20
> > filters each... That's hardly practical. That is why it *IS* the job of
> > the client to do it's filtering. If it cannot do it properly, find a
> > client that will, there are plenty out there.
> *snip*
> That's exactly what he is saying, and it is quite feasible.  If your users
> want their mail filtered, they can set up their personal procmail settings in
> their own home directory, if they dont, then they dont have to.
> --
> Chuck Burns, Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Agreed. They can. "IF" they have 1) the access, and 2) the ability. Not
everyone does.

If I were to use the e-Mail address from my ISP for example, I would not
be able to do that. I do not have access. I'd have to set up fetch mail
on my Linux box, and get the mail from them, and filter it locally. That
would only work for one box.

What if I had 3 or 4 different laptops that I might carry around. Plus,
need to access my mail from nearly any i-net attached client. I'd need
to depend on the client to do the filtering. And indeed, many do it
right. Mozilla Mail, Netscape Mail, Evolution, etc. If they can't I
don't use them. It's that simple. If someone want's me to use their
e-Mail client, it needs to properly support IMAP filtering.

All the rest is just techno-geek toys. I, and my users, just want to
read our mail. I'm not going to go to excessive measures on the servers
make that happen. IMAP does the job exceedingly well, and it serves to
any client, be it Linux, Mac, or Windows. I can check my mail from any
client, anywhere in the world. As long as it properly supports IMAP
filtering.

People like to diss Netscape. But what other client is out there
that properly supports IMAP filtering and will run on ANY OS?!?

All that other "stuff" is just more stuff to go wrong, and more stuff to
maintain. A straight up, out of the box IMAP server will exactly what I
need it to do, with minimum fuss, and muss. Isn't that how this stuff is
supposed to work?

Ric