> That's strange, I have just the opposite experience.
>
> Agreeing with you that 7.2 was an exceptionally good release (and can
> hardly wait for 9.2 - it's the odd numbers I bet) I found that 8.2 and
> higher gave much better performance on low end P166's.
>
> AFAIK this was mostly due to Xfree4.2 on the gui side.
> Running KDE2.2 with Mandrake8.0 was already too much.
>
> KDE3.1 apps (not the whole desktop!) runs ever so slow.....but runs on the
> same machine. Without gui it's just faster than 7.2 whilst 8.0 and 8.1
> swapped themselves to a dreary death.
>
> Good luck,
> HarM

I will have to agree with you, HarM. And it's going to be even better
when kernel 2.6 is out.. That preempt no-longer-to-be-patch does
wonders...

Damian

I don't want Windows to be only for the 31173. Yes, we've come a long way from
all those security holes, virii, and cryptic commands like "Edit textfile.txt"
(what in the hell is that supposed to mean?)