Hi Ronald,

I had a similar experience once with a Computer, Via-Chipset.
Averred that the Mainboard had a problem. The issue actually was a combination of Network/Sound/Memory & High PCI Usage. Means - that I always had a segfault when these 4 things where producing together a high-load. In the End - removing the soundcard (Soundblaster Live 1024 Player) made it more playable.

I was able to reproduce the Segfault/System lockups sometimes when:
Having several xmms-insances running at the same time (stress the soundcard a bit), and perform a kernel-compile:
make -j 100 bzImage

Make sure you have enough Ram for a -j 100 ;)
90% of the time - I had a crash or a problem ...

Maybe you want to check that out ... I find the kernel-compile with the option -j 100 better than any memory Test stuff around there ;) cause it's not only the memory that needs tested, but the environment it runs in.

Cheers

Joerg