Todd Lyons wrote:
Vox wrote on Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 02:07:47PM -0600 :

It's a quandry.  Support the old at the expense of the new?  Or support
the new and alienate a community of loyalists?  I wish there was an easy
answer.

Why not make CD1 installer for big boxes and CD2 installer for small boxes? that way you get the best of both worlds :)

Interesting proposition.  I think complexity is the limiting factor.
Two different install images to maintain is a lot to ask of someone
who's already working his tail off (Pixel).

Blue skies... Todd

Actually no, you just need 2 stage2 images. One for s--t machines with no memory and one for people with real hardware. ;)

The bigger of the stage2 images can be live-only to save space on disk1.

Then you need a stage2 that can handle either: almost no drivers, and all of them. (Right now stage 2 can't handle installing a new kernel into it with a ton of drivers (as i did). It simply couldn't inderstand how to insmod mptbase and mptscsih.

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology