> I usually so far haven't had issues with the tape drive, which
> is an HP Surestore DAT - SCSI using an Adaptec 2910C
> controller.

Bad form I know.... but it's starting to read the files. Dunno waht
happened. I reset the machine, tried 2.4.16 older kernel, couldn't
even get into the drive, said no /dev/st0. Modules looked like
they were there, but possibly unused.

With 2.4.21.0.1mdk, it lets me start tarring from the drive but
it seems pretty slow - these are .mp3 files though. I was getting
read errors from the drive yesterday...