Vincent Danen grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Wed Jul 23, 2003 at 12:21:27PM -0700, David Guntner wrote:
>
> > (Again, this is in the hopes that someone from Mandrake is still reading
> > this list)
> >
> > Well, at least partially. :-)
> >
> > In addition to the other error I reported regarding the new kernel (2.4.21-
> > 0.24mdk) causing all files to be written as world writable, I noticed
> > something else in my system processes.  My morning E-Mail from my nightly
> > cron jobs reported:
> >
> > /etc/cron.daily/msec: line 66: printf: `m': invalid format character
> > /etc/cron.daily/msec: line 66: printf: `@': invalid format character
> > /etc/cron.daily/msec: line 66: printf: `@': invalid format character
> > /etc/cron.daily/msec: line 66: printf: `m': invalid format character
> >
> > Nothing has been changed in that file.  This only showed up with the new
> > kernel in place.  Please go over the new kernel and release a bugfix for
> > these two problems.  Thanks!
>
> Ummm... let's be a little logical here.
>
> Why would you blame the kernel for something in msec?  The kernel touches
> /boot and /lib/modules... why would it have anything to do with msec?
>
> Did you look at line 66 of that file?  What does it say?

RPM_VA_CONFIG_DIFF="/var/log/security/rpm-va-config.diff"

Same as always.

> The previous issue could potentially be attributed to the kernel, but I
> highly doubt it.  This one I think attributing to the kernel is pretty
> far-fetched.

It might very well be.  All I know is that the ONLY thing that I changed in
my system last night was to install the new kernel.  This morning, I get a
notice about TONS of files (which get created all the time (news, mail,
etc.) being world writable when they never used to be, and the /boot initrd
image being world-writable now sure makes it look like that's the culprit.
And then I get the other error message that I listed above.

Now, I'm not into blindly blaming a kernel update for all my woes. :-)
However, I *am* pretty good at putting 2 and 2 together.  When the ONLY
thing that changes is the kernel, and then weird things start to happen, I
don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the kernel update *might* be
what's causing that sudden weirdness.

Either way, I appreciate you guys looking into this.

                  --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server