On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 11:22 America/Chicago, Vincent Danen wrote:

On Mon Jul 28, 2003 at 08:22:15PM -0700, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

Regarding the instructions for the kernel upgrade, they include:

'Once you have modified your lilo.conf or menu.lst file, execute "lilo
-v" or "sh /boot/grub/install.sh", again depending upon your bootloader.'

I have never re-installed grub (over 3 years) after only modifying
menu.lst and there have been others who have expressed a reservation
about this instruction. My understanding was that it was not necessary
(1) but my understanding might be incomplete, so I would appreciate some
clarification here.

I don't use grub, so I can't honestly say. If someone knows definitively,
please let me know.

Grub need not be re-installed when a new kernel is being added to the system. All you may need to do is modify menu.lst and even that seems to be unnecessary with Mandrake since the vmlinuz and initrd point to the latest kernel and initrd via soft links.

Avi