Just worked on my laptop last night, and, while doing other things, decided to
check the updates and chose to allow the X update to go through. Of course
everything worked fine (update and such), but once shutting it down and
restarting it this morning, in the office - X is broken. What do I mean by
this? When starting, the screen shows lots of colored lines in the upper
portion, after which it brings up the login (what used to be) acreen, but with
no dialog box for input, or possibility to do anything (actually I can pick the
username, which is still visible, but I cannot "guess" where the password field
may be ... let alone the fact that this would come up - probably - with more
weird stuff, even if able to login.

In the rest, another tty (CLI) works just fine, as does non-init 5 levels.
Anybody having any idea what could have broken with the new X? I would
appreciate any help, as I am stuck now with a Windows box, readin/writing email
using a browser, and all my weekend work dependent on my laptop (unless
deciding to install Openoffice in Windows).

Thx,
Stef