wrote:

> > >     That was my first look at Mandrake (6.0). Then phatlinux
> > > was free. IIRC a 170mb zip file, expanded to about 500mb in a
> > > Windoze fat32 directory, C:\Mandrake. I was dual bootin Red Hat
> > > and Winblows at the time. I played around with phat for a short
> > > time, liked KDE, so I got 'real' Mandrake CD's and replaced RH
> > > ;)
> >
> > Didn't MDK at one time have a product that did linux on windows?
> > If I remember right it was slower than honey during an Alaskan
> > winter.
> >
> > James
>
> yes,, not really a Mandrake product, lin4win, I thought it was a
> choice if you are in windows when you put the CD in and it
> 'autostarted', at least it used to be.

Mandrake offered a trial of win4lin with 9.0.  I installed it, and am
still with it.  As long as you are running win98 it is great.
Windows runs inside linux, I can run it in a windows that is near
full-screen but still keeping the kicker bar visible, and swap
backwards and forwards as necessary.  It uses your linux drivers for
peripherals, so it's not a solution for unsupported peripherals.

Perhaps it was an older version that was slow, but I find it as fast
as native windows, and incredibly stable.  On the rare occasion that
it has gone down you can of course get out of it without downing your
linux, so I'm very happy with it.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302