On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 13:27, James Sparenberg wrote:
> All,
>
>    Ok I'm planing the IT section for a new company.  As such I've got a
> ground up ability to do it as right as I possibly can ..... the first
> time.  Initial load will be about 20 people (Mixed windows and Linux to
> start adding other Unix as needed.) with a ton of data storage needed.
> (R&D group)  Now I'm planning on a RAID array for data storage with
> Samba/NFS for storage/sharing of data files. (Data Only no
> applications.)  The questions I have are.
>
> 1.  What VPN software do you recommend for a mixed Linux/Unix/Windows
> environment?

IPSEC Freeswan

To setup it up with the
M$ Win2000 http://vpn.ebootis.de/
Windows XP/2000: http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php

Yep to install it's "urpmi freeswan"

There is a really nice front end for setting it all up including the
firewall and freeswan stuff, is a package called httpd-naat,

"urpmi httpd-naat"
"urpmi naat-frontend-www-doc"
"urpmi naat-frontend-www-en"

Standard Mandrake packages, they are not on the CDs, but they are on the
Mandrake mirrors

You also must have installed shorewall
"urpmi shorewall"

There will be a little fiddling but the results will be excellent, the
httpd-naat stuff is some of Mandrakes best kept secret.

> 2.  Looking at RaidZone Raid servers. Any info?

No idea, I have never been a total fan of the hardware RAID controller
stuff, I have heard some good news about the 3ware stuff but that's
about it. I quite like software raid, like at any time you can take one
drive out, read the single drive with a standard IDE controller. Another
feature of software RAID at anytime you can "cat /proc/mdstat" and see
if your RAID is still together.

> 3.  Anything better than VPN for Data Sharing in Windows (2000 btw maybe
> XP but I hope to avoid that nightmare.)

It's a pity that shfs does not work for M$ machines, mapping HDs via VPN
suck..

> 4.  Would you if you could go all laptop for your developers and other
> Engineers.

It's a great idea, but they are very easy stolen, and people seem to
loose them.

Cheers
Mark