On Saturday 18 October 2003 07:06 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 18 Oct 2003 12:46 am, James Conner wrote:
> > You can reread this thread to get up-to-date.  We found the
> > firmware upgrade on Dell's Europe web site and updated the firmware
> > to 3.05.  It didn't help. The cdrom is a NEC CDR-3000A.  I replaced
> > it with a Toshiba XM-6302B and it worked fine.  Seems like the NEC
> > CDR-3000A is written with buggy/non-standard firmware and is
> > incompatible to MDK 9.1.  If someone wants a more detailed
> > report/summary, please let me know.
>
> Jim, could you write a line or two on theTWiki HardwareCompatibility
> page?  It might save someone a lot of heartache.  Thanks
>
> Anne

Ok, I'm tired, it's late and I think I botched my twiki registration.  Here is
the text that I would probably put in.
---cut---
Mandrake 9.1:
If you have a NEC CDR-3000A cdrom drive or get the following error with the
command:
cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW-F1E         ' '1.0b' Removable CD-ROM
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        0,1,0     1) 'NEC     ' 'CD-ROM DRIVE:28D' '3.03' Removable CD-ROM

This error message refers to the drive following it.  You will probably have
difficulties doing a direct CD to CD copy as well.  You can try to upgrade
the firmware of the drive.  This works with some didn't work this NEC.  If
after you upgrade the firmware and you still get this message, you have two
options.
1)  Rewrite or wait for a fix parts of the cdrecord package and possibly parts
of the kernel.
2)  Install a CDROM drive that works.

I opted for number 2.  I didn't have this problem with the hardware in MDK 9.0
and it hasn't been tested with MDK 9.2.  This is caused by buggy/non-standard
firmware for the CDROM drive.
---cut---

If you want you can put this in the Twiki or I can try to figure it out and
put it in on Monday or Tuesday when I have more time.

Jim
--

  2:01am  up 30 days, 19:01,  3 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.25, 0.35
Running Mandrake 9.0 - Linux - because life is too short for reboots...