tripwire would be even better, but the best thing of all is a modified
version of Mandrake's own secure scripts setup (which is copied from
Debian). This is the script that sends you nightly emails about
differences in network ports, packages, &c.? Well, make a copy that runs
every five or ten minutes and looks at the atime, permissions, and
content of wtmp, writing those into a hidden directory. If they don't
match the last log in some way that is suspicious, fire an alert.
Depending on your paranoia level, that could be email, sms, smbmessage,
talk, an im, or paging with a modem :-)

A friend of mine used to admin at an ISP and set up something like this.
He started a talk session with the cracker and talked him out of
screwing with the box.