On Wednesday 29 Oct 2003 12:57 pm, Brian V Bonini wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 05:34, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My ups is working well, but I would like to use the monitoring
> > software.  Unfortunately I seem to have a config problem, which I
> > don't understand.  These are the error messages:
> >
> > Wed Oct 29 09:53:14 GMT 2003  Cannot create
> > /var/lock/subsys/apcupsd/LCK..ttyS0 serial port lock file: ERR=No
> > such file or directory
> > Wed Oct 29 09:53:14 GMT 2003  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcdevice.c
> > at line 87
> > Unable to create UPS lock file.
> > Wed Oct 29 09:53:14 GMT 2003  apcupsd error shutdown completed
> >
> > The directory /var/lock/subsys/apcupsd exists.  Why can't it
> > create the lock file?
> >
> > Anne
>
> I guess the first obvious question is does the dir have the correct
> permissions for whatever apcupsd is running as? On my system it
> runs as root. And, are you sure there is a /var/lock/subsys/apcupsd
> directory? I have a apcupsd file in /var/lock/subsys/ but no
> apcupsd directory...

I think you pointed me at the solution <g>.  I created the
/var/lock/subsys/apcupsd directory, because it seemed to want to use
that to create the lock file.  However, I now think I was wrong.  I
have deleted that directory.  There is a file
/var/lock/subsys/apcupsd, which must be used in the lock file
creation.  We'll see what happens at the next reboot, but I think
that is right.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302