Currently I rely on a hardware firewall, but I would like to add a
personal software firewall.  I know that I will need a slice of time
to do sufficient reading to get the configuration right, so I thought
that I would browse using Webmin to see what I needed to know,
particularly since I don't want to affect the lan.

Unfortunately, though logically, you can't do that until you have
installed iptables.  I see, though, that it offers configuration for
Linux Firewall and Shorewall.  If I install iptables and/or shorewall
do they come with completely hashed out configuration files, or am I
immediately committed to sorting it?

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302