On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 19:15, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2003 01:01 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
> > Hi
> > got 9.2 on that thing at last, noapic and acpi=off ( OK Greg :) )
>
> Hey, hey, great news!!  Thanks for sticking with it, your friend won't be
> sorry.  Don't forget to send Tom the dmesg output so he can get the install
> kernel to recognize that board correctly.

I've sent Tom the files direct

> > BUT it took 3 installs to do it,
> > first bombed out loading an object file for newt
> > the second just hung after selecting the files to load
> > third time it went in , each time was an install and each time all
> > partitions were formatted.
> >
> Strange, could be a difficult to read cd or a flaky cd-rom drive.  It's not an
> LG is it?

I wish it was as simple as that, its a new machine (2 days old) , one
with a dvd drive and a cdrw, both drives were used.

> > MOBO= ASROCK K7S8X
> >
> POS :-)
>
> > The Alsa drivers for the integral sound card only half function.
> > /dev/dsp  fails
> > the alternate drivers ali5455, nvaudio and the 810 oss driver do not
> > function at all.
> > the card is listed as a Cmedia ac97, harddrake finds SIS 7012.
> > There are no linux drivers on the asrock site.
> >
> That board has got a Sis 745 southbridge with an AC '97 codec, and according
> to the ALSA project website, is not supported yet.  Check the soundcard
> matrix here:  http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/  It might be worthwhile
> to pick up a $15 SB or something.
>
> > ! mobo to stay clear off
> >
> I generally do not like boards with Sis chipsets.  Believe it or not, I have
> had the most good luck with VIA.
I've a VIA chipset on this machine with no probs, but I had a hell of a
game with a HD that had winxp on it, now strange as it seems, an
identical HD sits in this machine, 60GB, as the one that gave probs and
it went in as smoooth as a 18yr old Islay malt slides down the throat.

I'm convinced MS are up to something , and its not an excuse to cover my
incompetence as suggested off line.

The last time another OS came near to giving them a run for their money,
they played very dirty.
Richard
--
Richard Bown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>