On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 23:17, Greg Meyer wrote:

> > > Problem has nothing to do with the fact that WinXP has already been on
> > > the drive.  See below.
> >
> > I really must disagree with you on this Greg, if this was so , how come
> > I can move a drive thats had winxp, into a machine thats happily running
> > linux and get problems on an install, normally when the partition table
> > is written ??
> >
> Well, I can't think of anything specifically about WinXP that would cause this
> kind of problem.  The NTFS filesystem is nothing but a filesystem, a
> repartition and reformat should be all that is necessary.  I am puzzled
> because I personally have never experienced what you are talking about (WinXP
> causing this trouble) and I have installed a lot of Mandrake systems on top
> of disks that used to have ntfs on them.

> > > Come to the mailing lists to see how the problem can be fixed.
> >
> > I get the impression you mean the newbie list ?
> >
> I was just pointing out in a kind of tongue in cheek way that you came to the
> right place for help, and a newbie should do the same.

> Be very careful, but you could boot into rescue mode and at a console type
>
> dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda
>
> This will completely overwrite your disk with nothing.
>
> > > These problems you describe generally relate to the i/o APIC cuasing
> > > trouble, especially with a VIA chipset.  You didn't sya what motherboard
> > > you have, but booting the install kernel with the parameters noapic and
> > > acpi=off should fix you right up.  At the splash screen, hit escape and
> > > then type
> > >
> > > linux noapic acpi=off
> > >
> > > Yes acpi and apic are different, so type it exactly as I have written it.
> >
> > I'll try it , but I'm extremely sceptical
> >
> Unless I am missing something that you have not brought up, the errors you are
> describing generally refer to the IDE controller itself and not the hard
> drive.  I/O APIC and ACPI problems generally cause interrupts to not get
> assigned properly, so frequent symptoms include nics and usb ports not
> working and lost interrupts on drive channels.

If this is the case and I have seen it causing problems with NICs, the
install should be set to turn it off by default, once you have a running
system, it can always be turned on,.;
But this type of thing happening on install will drive people away from
MDK.
most winyuk users are extremely biased against linux, why give them fuel
for their arguments ???

Microylk are shooting themselves in the foot with server 2003, why give
them blanks ?, it should be hollow heads filled with cyanide.

Richard
--
Richard Bown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>