On Monday 10 November 2003 10:37 pm, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Anne Wilson escribió:
> > On Monday 10 Nov 2003 5:23 am, Michael Noble wrote:
> >>It has been a while since I last dd a disk drive (it is best to
> >>make them the same type and size).  Assuming that the old disk is
> >>/dev/hda and the new disk is /dev/hdb the following command should
> >>work:
> >>
> >>dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
> >
> > I've heard people recommend this before, but I'm not sure why this is
> > better than cp -a ?  I do remember that the last time I tried to copy
> > a whole directory to a new partition I had some problems before I got
> > it right, so I want to be clear before I start.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
> suggests to use cp -a
> I used that howto many times (either to recover from disk failure or to
> prepare a copy of the current distribution to a different partition
> before an upgrade) and I found it very useful.
>
> Bye
I recently upgrade from hdb being a dvd reader and hdc a 5 gig, and hdd a
cdwriter, to a dvd writer at hdd and a 120 gig at hdc, in MDk 9.1. I plugged
in the drive to the case, and I started the computer, fired up MCC, went to
diskdrake and told it the change, and that I wanted to make a 45 gig
/var/www. it asked if I wanted what was now in my /var/www copied over (of
course I did, and it did fine), and I now have a separate /var/www from /var.
have you just tried to see if you can just do it with out thinking about it
and using the gui?