On Wednesday 12 Nov 2003 2:18 am, et wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2003 10:37 pm, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> > Anne Wilson escribió:

> > > I've heard people recommend this before, but I'm not sure why
> > > this is better than cp -a ?  I do remember that the last time I
> > > tried to copy a whole directory to a new partition I had some
> > > problems before I got it right, so I want to be clear before I
> > > start.
> >
> > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
> > suggests to use cp -a
> > I used that howto many times (either to recover from disk failure
> > or to prepare a copy of the current distribution to a different
> > partition before an upgrade) and I found it very useful.
> >
> > Bye
>
> I recently upgrade from hdb being a dvd reader and hdc a 5 gig, and
> hdd a cdwriter, to a dvd writer at hdd and a 120 gig at hdc, in MDk
> 9.1. I plugged in the drive to the case, and I started the
> computer, fired up MCC, went to diskdrake and told it the change,
> and that I wanted to make a 45 gig /var/www. it asked if I wanted
> what was now in my /var/www copied over (of course I did, and it
> did fine), and I now have a separate /var/www from /var. have you
> just tried to see if you can just do it with out thinking about it
> and using the gui?

I never thought of the gui, et.  I used cp -a when I needed to move
/var to a new partition.  Life is extremely complicated here atm, so
I'm hoping it will last out a few more days as there is no chance of
getting/installing a new drive before that.  And I haven't even
tested the fan theory yet.  I'll let you know what happens.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302