On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM, John Pallister <j...@synchromesh.com> wrote:
> Did you manage to incorporate everything you found interesting about
> OMeta into your Factor PEG code?

I'm mainly looking at being able to parse streams of data and do
partial parses. This is to allow parsing large inputs without
requiring the entire string to be loaded in memory. I also have been
working on making things work with sequences of data structures better
which is what provides OMeta with a lot of its power.

Some of the partial parsing stuff can be done using Factor
continuations. eg. when reaching an unexpected end of file, capture
the current continuation and resume when more input is available. But
it's difficult to manage the memory usage with that approach. I'm also
interested in exploring some of the Iteratee style of i/o. For
example, Oleg's recent example of processing tiff files was very
interesting to me.

> Sorry to all for the non-Factor post... Perhaps I should also ask
> whether your future parsing experiments might result in Factor
> libraries for the rest of us to ponder over (at the risk of further
> cranial detonations)?

If anything useful comes out of it I'll be blogging about it. I don't
see much point in writing yet another parsing library though since
there is likely to be one done by the core Factor developers soon. I'm
more interested in just playing around with ideas at the moment - it's
less time consuming that writing/documenting/supporting libraries.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz