On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 06:20:04AM -0500, Slava Pestov wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Tom Schouten<t...@zwizwa.be> wrote:
> > Bout time I have a look at it then..  Is the compiler tied in closely
> > to the rest of the system?  I'm wondering if I it would be difficult
> > to embed it in PLT Scheme through the concatenative -> Scheme wrapper
> > macros used in Staapl.
>
> Factor has two compilers. And yes, in theory you can port the whole
> system over to PLT Scheme, but at that stage it would be so much more
> advanced than PLT Scheme itself that you may as well build your own,
> self-hosting Scheme implementation, and before you know it you'll have
> a multi-year project on your hands :-)

( Here be dragons :)

With Staapl it's the first time I was able to contain myself and write
it as an extension of PLT, which I must say I don't regret.  Self hosting
is less important for a project that's mostly about staging.

I'm interested in Factor's stack -> SSA bridge because it seems a nice
way to combine stack languages with flat risc architectures and other
language forms. (I'm thinking about FP and what John Nowak is doing,
though I still have trouble following his work..)

But, you're making me curious.
Is it possible to macro-translate Scheme into Factor?

I assume the answer is yes as I think Factor has compatible lexical
scoping and tall calls..  So, did anyone do it already?

> The source code for Factor's optimizing compiler is located in ...

Thanks for the pointers.  Will take some time to digest.

Cheers,
Tom