--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Antidepressants (specifically the SSRI's: Prozac,
> Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro) can be very effective in
> reducing the symptoms of clinical depression in about
> 50% of the people who take them. I work with patients
> who have benefitted tremendously from
> anti-depressants. However, while Bob overstates the
> point, anti-depressants are not the panacea the drug
> companies make them out to be.

It's not me that is making the point, but a lot of careful
researchers whose meticulous work has been published in the American
Psychological Assn Journal this is one of the studies:

http://www.journals.apa.org/prevention/volume5/pre0050023a.html

> For some people they
> just don't work.

Placebo effects, which is what anti-depressants are exhibiting, don't
work for everybody.

>In my experience, the more high
> functioning the person is, the more effective the
> anti-depressants are. Research has also shown (and
> I'll find the reference if you want it), much to many
> peoples surprise, that 1 year of cognitive-behavioral
> was as effective as the SSRI's in reducing clinical
> depression.
> -Peter

I already posted the recent research from Univ of Pennsylvania and
Vanderbilt on the lack of benefit from anti-depressants compared with
talk therapy:

Cognitive therapy as potent as antidepressants: study
Posted on : 2005-04-05| Author : Steve Walters
News Category : Health

Cognitive therapy can help as much as antidepressants
in alleviating initial chronic depression and provide
longer lasting effects, a study has found.

The study by University of Pennsylvania and Vanderbilt
University researchers raises doubts about the
guidelines by American Psychiatric Association, which
stipulate that antidepressant medicines are required
to treat moderate to severe depression.

"On the whole, these findings do not support the
current American Psychiatric Association guidelines,
based on the Treatment of Depression Collaborative
Research Program (TDCRP), that most patients require
medication," the report said, while adding that
cognitive therapy could be as `effective as
medications, even among more severely depressed
outpatients, at least when provided by experienced
cognitive therapists'.

In a study of 240 patients suffering from moderate to
severe depression, researchers divided these patients
into three groups. While 60 of them were administered
cognitive therapy, 120 received antidepressant
medication, and 60 others were given a placebo.

After being given the treatment for eight weeks,
researchers found that 50 per cent of those who were
given medication responded positively as against 43
per cent of those in the cognitive therapy group. The
response in the placebo group was about 25 per cent.
Sixteen weeks into the treatment, response rates of
those in the cognitive therapy and the medication
group were on par at 58 per cent. While those
receiving medication showed a remission rate of 46 per
cent, only 40 per cent of those who underwent
cognitive therapy lapsed back into depression.

Said Penn's Department of Psychology's Robert
DeRubeis, who authored the study, "We believe that
cognitive therapy might have more lasting effects
because it equips patients with the tools they need to
learn how to manage their problems and emotions." He
added that `pharmaceuticals, though effective, offer
no long-term cure for the symptoms of depression'.
According to DeRubeis, for many patients, cognitive
therapy offers a better form of treatment.

However, the effectiveness of cognitive therapy
depends entirely on the experience and expertise of
the therapists administering it. The findings of the
study have been published in the latest issue of
Archives of General Psychiatry.

Here’s a possible explanation for the curious conclusions, from:

http://skepdic.com/refuge/funk21.html

"The high levels of placebo effect which have been repeatedly reported in many articles, in our mind are the result of flawed research methodology," said Dr. Hrobjartsson, professor of medical philosophy and research methodology at University of Copenhagen.*

Typical of the kind of flawed research methodology Hrobjartsson is referring to would be that of surgeon J. Bruce Moseley who performed fake knee surgery on eight of ten patients. Six months after the surgery all the patients were satisfied customers. Rather than conclude that the patients didn't need surgery or that the surgery was useless because in time the patients would have healed on their own, he and others concluded that the healing of the eight who did not have surgery was due to the placebo effect, while the two who had real surgery were better because of having had the operation. Irving Kirsch and Guy Sapirstein made the same kind of methodological error in their controversial meta-study which found that anti-depressants work by the placebo effect, rather than that anti-depressants are unnecessary and useless. Hrobjartsson would probably claim that the observed results of controlled studies on anti-depressants were actually due to regression.

Many researchers have avoided this kind of flaw by having a third group, who receive no treatment at all, to compare to the other two. If the placebo group shows better results than the group getting nothing, then surely the placebo is effective. Hrobjartsson and Gotzsche think most of these studies, too, are flawed, mainly due to having samples that were too small or due to patients who make reports aimed at pleasing the researcher. Thus, to those researchers who have found that depressed patients on a waiting list did not do as well as those on a placebo,* Hrobjartsson and Gotzsche might claim that the studies were too small or that the improvement was due to subjective and biased evaluations of either the would-be patients or the researchers.