--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "at_man_and_brahman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Hartford
> > the

> > at a
> > same
> > (or
> > >

> > > Uh, Bob. Same old discussion we always have. The knucklehead
you're
> > > referring to is Maharishi. His idea to do the tour. I'm sure he
> > would have
> > > preferred to open for the Beatles, but the Beach Boys had to do.
> >
> > *******
> >
> > If you don't remind rehashing this, providing proper guidance for
MMY
> > is the job of TM management, not letting a goofy guy like Mike
Love
> [...]
with
> > any sense (and this does include most rock musicians, whether
they TM
> > or not) would know could not work. As far as MMY initiating this
> > idea, you can make that claim, but it's just nonsense -- this was
> > Mike Love's idea, and no TM managers stepped forward to kill this
> > doomed notion.
> >
> > MMY does let people tell him what to do if they are forceful --
an
> > example of this being MMY at the Honolulu airport in 1959, when
his
> > driver grabbed his carpetbag out of his hand and took him home
when
> > MMY admitted he had made no arrangements for his trip to San
> > Francisco:
> >
> > http://geocities.com/bbrigante/letter.html#HNL
> >
> > I know Mike Love has been a long-time ru -- his room was down the
> > hall from mine at the Humboldt TTC in August 1970 -- but before
he
> > attended Humboldt, he ended up in a psych ward for a while after
he
> > spaced out from a marathon meditation session (a scene depicted
in
> > the 2000 ABC movie about the Beach Boys
> > http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=31330 ), and Mike Love
and
> > TM mgmt enthusiasm is no substitute for good judgement, and the
bad
> > judgement of letting MMY on that stage at a rock concert pretty
much
> > typifies the malfeasance of TM mgmt which continues to this day,
and
> > MMY can't be blamed for that. He's a Hindu monk who does not know
how
> > to operate in Western culture, and he said so when left India:
> >
> > http://geocities.com/bbrigante/comp.html#30
> >
> > TM managers are goofy, because the TM community is goofy, and so
they
> > need to do reality checks with responsible and creative people
> > outside the movement who like to solve problems -- these people
are
> > called consultants, and there many fine firms that do this type
of
> > work -- one of the most prominent is Booz Allen Hamilton
> > http://www.boozallen.com/ , and if the TMO were to sit down with
> > these consultants, they could come up a business plan that works,
and
> > not a fantasy based on the enthusiasm of eccentric people.
>

> Bob-zoid,
>
> A point that I don't recall ever having been
> made in rebuttal to your worldview is that
> you keep coming back to the present tense
> you use when mentioning that Maharishi's
> a monk, unfamiliar with the ways of the world
> and the West. Obviously that was true fifty
> years ago, but don't you think that he's had
> plenty of time to learn the basics of how
> ordinary Western people think and behave?

Paul-zoid:
You think that a yogi who is living cosmic life, who spent years in
total bliss with an acknowledged Divinity
http://geocities.com/bbrigante/spiritual.html#guru is going to try to
put on a 3-piece suit and learn how to deal with schmucks? MMY
attuned himself to the mind of Guru Dev, he's not going to attune
himself to the feeble minds of householders around the world, which
he could not do as a practical matter even if he wanted to, because
of the variety of cultures and languages around the world. MMY
founded the TM movement, and in that he has done all that he needs to
do. Pitching the TM movement in all the various cultures of the world
needs to be done by people conversant with that culture -- MMY could
not possibly know how to function in all these different societies
and languages.

> How long can a man remain utterly naive
> and innocent about the ways of the world?
> After all, he's extremely intelligent and about
> the quickest study around.

Maybe he should learn how to pronounce English by American standards
too? Or play the piano, or learn how to program a computer? Remaining
out of touch with the ugliness of so-called human life these days is
a necessity for a yogi -- that's why they like to live in the woods,
as Guru Dev did for many years, only coming out to find a receptive
student who spoke English and had a Western education to make the
bliss he lived available to the world (if the householder can't go to
the cave, bring the cave to the householder).

> He's been on how many world tours, after all?
> As a famous old man, and a leader of a worldwide
> organization, he's met and talked with more
> people than everyone on FFL combined.
>
> As for Booz Allen Hamilton, many people, including
> David Kaplan, have tried to convince Maharishi
> to hire this or that American consulting firm,
> particularly w/r/t branding and marketing.
> Maharishi rejects the preliminary plans each time.
> I heard from a Purusha many years back about
> a tirade he went into when talking about conducting
> the Movement according to accepted business
> principles, saying that the world is based on
> such principles and look at what a mess it
> is. He is convinced that "Maharishi Master
> Management," whatever specifically that means
> to him, is superior knowledge to anything
> these firms have say.

If Bevan or John Hagelin had even a ounce of class and interest in
promoting TM (instead of themselves as masters of the world), they
would go out and hire a consultant without telling anybody, and when
a rational plan had been developed, then present it to MMY without
telling him the source (this is of course, a ridiculous idea on your
part that MMY only wants TM people to come up with ideas -- in fact,
he has blasted the stupidity of TM management on many occasions,
including this one:
http://geocities.com/bbrigante/comp.html#dumpy ). And your notion
that Maharishi rejects outsider-initiated plans is completely
contrary to the spirit MMY showed when he declared, upon leaving
India, that he did so to seek help from advanced countries:

http://geocities.com/bbrigante/comp.html#30

In any event, MMY is aware, because he operates from the level of
cosmic intelligence, that ordinary human reasoning cannot calculate
the rate at which the world can tolerate enlightenment, so going slow
in teaching TM by employing retards like Bevan is the declared Divine
Plan of MMY and the hierarchy of the universe:

http://geocities.com/bbrigante/retards.html#light

So why do I continue to call for a rational approach to TM
management? Because many people are fed up with the TM movement's
blatant stupidity, and by discussing all issues, including the most
critical issue discussed at the above link in which MMY notes the
need to unfold enlightenment for the world gradually, people don't
lose heart about the prospects for enlightenment, but begin to see
the haphazard progress of the movement as a necessary artifact of
trying to do the right thing in the Kaliyuga, where, as Jesus found
out, no good deed goes unpunished.

Bob