> on 4/28/05 2:25 AM, Bob Brigante at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > If you don't remind rehashing this, providing proper guidance for
MMY
> > is the job of TM management, not letting a goofy guy like Mike
Love
> > put him in a ridiculous situation which anybody in this culture
with
> > any sense (and this does include most rock musicians, whether
they TM
> > or not) would know could not work. As far as MMY initiating this
> > idea, you can make that claim, but it's just nonsense -- this was
> > Mike Love's idea, and no TM managers stepped forward to kill this
> > doomed notion.
>
> Neither of us knows whose idea it was. We would have to ask Mike
Love.
> Whoever came up with it, no one forced Maharishi to do it. He must
have
> thought it was a good idea or he wouldn't have done it. Probably
Vernon or
> whoever was around tried to dissuade him from doing it, as Vernon
often did,
> but if MMY had his mind set on something, he did it. I do know that
my
> experience in working around Maharishi for several year was that he
was the
> one coming up with most of the ideas. He would often cook up an
idea and
> then come to the hall and start brainstorming with the group on
that general
> topic, to see who demonstrated the greatest attunement with his
thinking by
> coming up with the same idea on which he had already decided.
Sometimes he
> would hem and haw and vacillate quite a bit as an idea was refined
and
> clarified, but once he had his mind set on something, there was no
stopping
> him. And very few tried to stop him. That wasn't the way the game
worked.

It does not really matter anyway anymore what happens in the West, as
the movement's attention has obviously gone to India, so questions
about who said what and who decided what don't matter. India will
have to be successful for the movement, and if it is, it won't matter
what happens in the mall stores.

> > MMY does let people tell him what to do if they are forceful -- an
> > example of this being MMY at the Honolulu airport in 1959, when
his
> > driver grabbed his carpetbag out of his hand and took him home
when
> > MMY admitted he had made no arrangements for his trip to San
> > Francisco:
>

> Like he had his heart set on sleeping in the airport? That wasn't
forceful;
> that was basic hospitality.

This makes no sense at all -- if a responsible TM manager had refused
to allow MMY to show up at that Beach Boys concert, that fiasco could
have been avoided, just as his driver in HNL kept MMY from sleeping
in the SF airport.

> > Mike Love and
> > TM mgmt enthusiasm is no substitute for good judgement, and the
bad
> > judgement of letting MMY on that stage at a rock concert pretty
much
> > typifies the malfeasance of TM mgmt which continues to this day,
and
> > MMY can't be blamed for that. He's a Hindu monk who does not know
how
> > to operate in Western culture, and he said so when left India:
>

> Maharishi was never a sock puppet. I'm sure you read Mother Olsen's
book.
> She remarked that she became aware that a very subtle and powerful
mind was
> directing the course of events.

Absolutely, MMY's mind is powerful, but that does not mean that he
knows how to operate in any particular culture (can't speak Japanese
or play the piano, either) -- see my post:

> > TM managers are goofy, because the TM community is goofy, and so
they
> > need to do reality checks with responsible and creative people
> > outside the movement who like to solve problems -- these people
are
> > called consultants, and there many fine firms that do this type of
> > work -- one of the most prominent is Booz Allen Hamilton
> > http://www.boozallen.com/ , and if the TMO were to sit down with
> > these consultants, they could come up a business plan that works,
and
> > not a fantasy based on the enthusiasm of eccentric people.
>

> MANY times I heard MMY lambaste consultants and so-
called "experts." He
> never had any respect for the wisdom of the worldly. He always said
we tell
> people what we want them to hear, not what they want to hear.

Well, of course, on the level of knowledge, we tell people what they
need to hear, but on the level of how to make that knowledge
available, there are ways to market TM effectively (think Merv
Griffin) and ways to botch the job (Beach Boys concerts).