Good Morning V, I agree. As Loopy Loops says however though, repression creates the same circumstances which themselves may lead to the same repressive circumstances.

Social change

A1        The oppressive structures of society are internalized by all of us,

            molding our psychological and experiential structures.

            If we set out to transform society

            without having transformed our own inner structures

            we unavoidably reproduce those structures in the new order of things.

            Therefore, what we mean to be a total transformation of society

            will be but a mere change of masters.

A2        The internalized, aggressive and oppressive elements of society

            are integrated into the structure of our psyche.

            If we project those elements of our psyche on the ruling class

            and try to destroy them by destroying the members of that class

            our destructive and oppressive actions will make all the more powerful

            the negative elements of our psyche which we wished to destroy.

            Having destroyed the ones on whom we projected those elements,

            the latter’s’ underground presence will be felt again in our own selves

            and thus we shall be compelled to project them in new “others”

            who may also be destroyed as though they were those aspects.

(THE MEANING OF SELF-LIBERATION

AND THE LOOPY LOOPS FROM

THE SOURCE OF DANGER IS FEAR[i]

By

Elías Capriles

University of The Andes

Department of Philosophy

and Chair of Eastern Studies

Mérida, Venezuela)

Article Originally Published in the

International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, vol 20, 2001 (pp. 53-66)

© International Journal of Transpersonal Studies

Reprinted with permission from the copyright owners

who are duly thanked hereby

You know it's interesting, one of the texts similar to the yoga-sutras recommends siddhis which transform negative emotions and patterns into virtues. Even ole Patanjali agrees that if ahimsa is established in consciousness, that influence radiates into the environment. Rather than lashing out at others--or worse, entire countries, shouldn't this instead be a great opportunity to introduce methods to relieve suffering by liberating from negative emotions into virtues?

Apologists for certain teachers will often rationalize their teachers behaviors by saying that the personality is basically something you are stuck with: you can be enlightened and still act like a jerk. But this is BS. As these negative emotions are purified and liberated--the positive virtues replace them.